Student Facilities at USA
The University of South Asia ensures students have access to quality facilities that are needed for engaged learners. All classrooms are equipped with multimedia projects for use by faculty and students. Multiple labs are equipped with the latest computers and equipment. The faculties are equipped with the latest high-tech labs for civil engineering and electrical engineering. Classrooms are air-conditioned and the University has a well-stocked library and access to internet across the campus. Free use of the computer lab is available along with technical assistance. USA has an on-campus book bank, auditoriums, and well-stocked cafeteria and sports grounds for the convenience of students.
All our campuses are located at strategic locations with easy and secure access. Wi-fi facility is available around the clock on the campus, and students and faculty alike have access to Online Library managed by HEC to conduct research anywhere on the campus.
It is the mission of the University of South Asia Library to provide the educational resources needed to meet the academic and research demands of the University. The Library is the center for learning materials and it serves as an important teaching agency by providing bibliographic instructions. Formal and informal advices are given in the use of the Library to students through the orientation classes as well as bibliographic instruction as requested. The programs and services of the Library are geared toward implementing the mission of the University with the specific goals & objectives of meeting the educational needs of the University.
Purpose and Objectives
The collection development (Acquisition) policy of University at USA Library is a means to implementing the purpose of the University’s general program, and to clarify for the librarian and academic community the procedures used for collection development and evaluation.
- To develop collections of materials that support, foster, enrich and satisfy the curricula and research needs of USA University.
- To encourage use of the library and its facilities by the academic community.
- To aid and instruct Library patrons and staff in the use of the library and to provide bibliographic guide 4. To investigate the changing educational needs of the community and to provide access to information, programs and services
- To provide reference and research services by a variety of means, including printed materials and (non print) electronic resources.
- To provide a wide variety of mediated programs. A portion of the Library’s budget is allocated to each academic area in order to provide a selective input into the Library’s holdings. However, the final authority for selection rests with the Chief Librarian and those who are delegated such authority.
University Of South Asia Library has adopted the following criteria for materials selection
- Materials shall meet high standards of quality in factual content, Timelessness and presentation
- Materials shall be appropriate for the subject area and for the emotional development, ability level, and social development of the students for whom the materials are selected.
- Materials that are recommended by faculty members to support specific course work.
- Materials are selected by using selection tools, recommendations from administrators, faculty, staff and students.
Audio-visual materials, such as recordings, slides, microfilms, films, CD’s, video cassettes and DVD’s are considered as primary materials. When acquired for the permanent collection, selection criteria are consistent with the criteria used in selecting books.
Through mutual agreements with campus libraries, we are able to borrow books and materials.
Policies for using OPAC
- OPAC (on-line public access catalog) is available to all members of our academic community. You must be a currently enrolled student or Faculty/staff member to have access to the OPAC off campus.
- This service is available 24 hours through the University website www.usa.edu.pk
Locating Material through OPAC
- Click on the KOHA search bar and begin entering your search.
Circulation Procedures for Checking out a Book for the Overall Library
- Present USA student ID card each time you check out library materials.
- Books from the regular collection are checked out for a period of one week and may be renewed.
- If the book you wish is not in, you may ask to be notified when it is available.
- A fine of Rs.10 per day (excluding Sundays and holidays) is charged for each overdue book. Students are required to pay the cost of lost books with 500 fine. , Photocopy facility is available against Rs.2 per page, In case of any damaging of the library property student will be responsible to pay the required amount.
- You are held responsible for any book checked out on your card.
- Each student is responsible for main maintenance of his/her area. Students are not allowed to SMOKE, DRINK, or EAT in the Library premises.
- “Library Decorum” should be stressed at all times. You cannot expect other students to maintain a QUIET atmosphere unless you do so yourself.
- Assist any students when they need help.
- Student should keep in mind that you are under the supervision of all professional staff members, and they are to be given proper respect at all times.
Procedures for Checking out Reserve Books
- All library materials loaned to borrowers are dated for 3 days reserved or 1 day (reserved) from date of issues.
- Borrowers should request the required material, and leave library cards when using reserved materials.
- “Overdue notices” should be sent after fortnight.
- Borrower presents own identification card with selected library materials at Circulation Desk and magazines from the Reference Desk.
- For each reserve book requested, have the student check the reserve file box on the charge desk and give you the author, title, and instructor’s name.
- The barcode reader is used to check-out receipts.
- Receipts are printing by selecting the “print key” on the computer after scanning the student’s ID and the book’s barcode.
- Place receipt in pocket of book.
- Books may be renewed for two more weeks if they are not recent public publications or in great demand.
- Books may be renewed only twice.
Cell Phone Policy
Cell phone usage is prohibited in the library. Library patrons should make all calls from the front porch area of the library. When receiving an incoming call, patrons should moved to the porch area to take the call.
- Reference materials, books, periodicals, pamphlets, newspapers and any other materials labeled reference are non-circulating.
- Reference books in the Restricted Reference shelve cannot be removed from except to be taken to the copy machine. This has to be done with permission from the librarian.
- Reference books and materials can be removed from the shelves and placed on reserve by an instructor for a limited time (one semester), but if needed by other patrons, they may be used.
- Interlibrary Loans. These reference materials may be copied from and sent to other libraries. Circulating books are loaned through this system.
Computer LAB at USA
USA has an array of sophisticated computers installed at its campuses to cater to the needs of its student body. All computers have the required software available on it for laboratory assignments. Access to computer lab is available from 8 am to 8 pm. The Computer Lab staff is trained to provide timely assistance to each student, facilitating their learning. Students can also get their e-mails registered at usa.pk domain
Electrical Engineering LAB at USA
Following labs are present in the Department of Electrical Engineering, University of South Asia, Riwind Road Campus, Lahore.
1. Electric Circuits Lab:
It is equipped with the latest, state of the art equipment that helps students in developing necessary and basic skills in the field of Electrical Engineering. Students are also trained about basic software like Proteus, Electronic Workbench, P-Spice and MATLAB. Following labs are performed in this lab.
1. Linear Circuit Analysis
2. Basic Electrical Engineering
2. Workshop Practice Lab:
It is equipped with the latest, state of the art equipment that helps students in developing necessary and hands on experience on mechanical tools. Students have been taught how to measure, cut, and design PCBs and such. Students are also taught about basic concepts of welding, wiring and load calculations. Following labs are performed in this lab.
1. Workshop Practice
3. Embedded Systems Lab:
It is equipped with the latest, state of the art equipment that helps students in developing necessary and advanced skills in the field of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. Students have been taught about Logical circuits, microprocessors, micro-controllers, ICs and such. Students are also given guidance about programing in microprocessors and how to control larger circuits using these controllers. Following labs are performed in this lab.
1. Digital Logic Design
2. Microprocessor Systems
4. Communication Systems and DSP Lab
It is equipped with the latest, state of the art equipment that helps students in developing necessary and advanced skills in the field of Telecommunications and Signal Processing. The latest equipment helps students in understanding the actual concepts of communication and generation, propagation and receiving of signals over unreliable medium. Following labs are performed in this lab:
1. Digital Signal Processing
2. Communication Systems
3. Signals and Systems
4. Antenna Theory and Design
5. Power Engineering Lab:
It is equipped with the latest, state of the art equipment that helps students in developing necessary and advanced skills in the field of Electrical Power Engineering. Students have been trained about power transmission, power distribution, protection of transmission systems and generation of electrical power. Following labs are performed in this lab.
1. Power System Analysis
2. Power System Protection
6. Control Systems and Instrumentation Lab:
It is equipped with the latest, state of the art equipment that helps students in developing necessary and advanced skills in the field of Electrical Control Engineering. Students have been trained about different control systems, control techniques, instruments used in measuring and controlling of industrial processes, automation and such. Following labs are performed in this lab.
1. Linear Control Systems
2. Instrumentation and Measurements
7. Electric Machines Lab:
It is equipped with the latest, state of the art equipment that helps students in developing necessary and advanced skills in the field of Electrical Engineering. Students have been trained about different AC and DC motors, drives, their controlling circuits and such. Following labs are performed in this lab.
1. Electrical Machines I
2. Electrical Machines II
8. Electronic Circuits and Systems Lab:
It is equipped with the latest, state of the art equipment that helps students in developing necessary and advanced skills in the field of Electronics Engineering. Students have been trained about the use of electronic items like diodes, transistors, amplifiers and such and been taught about their practical implementation. Following labs are performed in this lab.
1. Electronic Devices and Circuits
2. Electrical Network Analysis
9. Advanced Electronics Lab:
It is equipped with the latest, state of the art equipment that helps students in developing necessary and advanced skills in the field of Electronics Engineering. Students have been trained about the use of power electronic items and their applications in the field. Following labs are performed in this lab.
1. Advanced Electronics
2. Power Electronics
10. Physics Lab:
It is equipped with the latest, state of the art equipment that helps students in developing necessary and basic skills in the field of Electrical Engineering. Students are also trained about basic equipment necessary to learn Conventional Physics. Following labs are performed in this lab.
1. Physics lab
11. UG Research & Project Lab:
It is equipped with the latest, state of the art equipment that helps students in developing necessary and advanced skills for the development of some project. Students implement all the knowledge they got during course of their engineering program practically.
Civil Engineering LAB at USA
1. Surveying Lab
To impart knowledge to students regards surveying techniques. Students are taught to perform leveling, topographic survey and laying horizontal and vertical angle.
2. Strength of Material Lab
Compression, tension, and bending test are carried out on different materials like steel, wood, and concrete.
3. Concrete and Materials Lab
Various concrete tests such as workability, compressive strength, slump test, design mix ratio etc. are performed. State of the art equipment is available in this lab.
4. Fluid mechanics lab
Modern equipment is available related to basic fluid mechanics, pipe flow, and channel flow and engineering hydrology.
5. Hydraulics Lab
For understanding the basic characteristics of flow in channels, over weirs and in flumes. To study the basics of hydraulic jump and water turbines and pumps are available to impart knowledge to students.
6. Engineering Mechanics Lab
Test are carried out related to fundamental principal of engineering mechanics such as resolution of vector, centre of gravity of irregular shapes, friction, principal of moments.
7. Transportation Engineering Lab
This lab caters to various test regarding highway construction and pavement design. Marshal stability test, Ductility test and California bearing ratio tests etc. are performed in this lab.
8. Geotechnical Engineering Lab
Test related to various soil engineering properties are performed in this lab e.g. compaction, shear strength, consolidation, and permeability.
9. Environmental engineering lab
Various test regarding water quality and waste water are performed in this lab.
10. Engineering Geology Lab
In this lab identification of various rocks and mineral are taught. Student are learned to classify rocks on the basis of their engineering properties.
Class Rooms & Auditoriums at USA
Every classroom is equipped with multimedia projects and sound system. This state-of-the-art equipment allows faculty members to supplement their lectures with videos and interesting audios, which engages students further. Each classroom and lab is air conditioned providing a comfortable conducive learning environment.
Book Bank at USA
USA has maintained a book bank where students can borrow books for studying. The book bank also provides easy photocopying services and stationery items.
Cafeteria at USA
The University has a full-service cafeteria which offers value for money. Whether you are looking for a quick snack such as a samosa or spring roll, or something heavier, such as biryani, you will find the right meal in our cafeteria. A juice bar is available that provides fresh juices and seasonal milkshakes. Students are expected to support café staff in maintaining discipline and order, and to not litter. Keeping the environment clean is our collective responsibility. Suggestion box is available in the cafeteria for students to submit their suggestions.
SMS & WHATSAPP Notification Service at USA
The University of South Asia provides an SMS notification service free of cost to all students. Students should therefore submit their working numbers and have it updated in case they change it to receive information about university events and activities, important notices about fee schedule, enrolment dates and examination dates. This service also informs students of any unannounced holidays or emergencies which need to be communicated urgently.
University of South Asia
47- Tufail Road Lahore Cantt.