For students who want a Ph.D. degree in fashion, a program in apparel design is a suitable
option. This program blends fashion design with textile science and research. Doctoral
students in apparel design work in both the studio and the laboratory, creating garments and
conducting tests on textile
A Ph.D. program in apparel design is rare. The program is open to candidates with related
master's degrees in design. It combines fashion with courses such as the history of fashion and
textiles, textile science, issues surrounding the apparel industry, and CAD design
technologies. Students in this program will graduate in two or more years with a deep and
thorough knowledge of both the art and science of fashion. Applicants are required to submit
their GRE scores and letters of recommendation. International students may be required to
take the TOEFL. In addition, applicants must submit a portfolio of their best design work. A
doctoral thesis and defense is required, and students are also expected to become familiar
with using industrial sewing equipment in a studio setting.
- A 16 years degree in the relevant field from an accredited educational institution, with minimum First division (annual system) or CGPA 3.0/ 4.0 (semester system) and no third division (annual system) or 'D' grade semester system throughout the academic career.
- NTS GAT (general) with minimum score of 50.
- An MS/ M.Phil degree with Thesis of 06 credit hours or its equivalent degree with thesis of 06 credit hours, in the relevant field from an accredited educational institution, with minimum CGPA 3.0/ 4.0 (semester system) or 70% marks (annual system) and no third division (annual system) or 'D' grade (semester system) throughout the academic career.
- GRE (subject) as per HEC policy or NTS GAT (subject) with minimum score of 60.
- The duration of studies for MPhil degree shall be not less than 2 years and not more than 4 years.
- The duration of studies for PhD degree shall be not less than three years and not more than five years.
- An MPhil scholar will have to complete minimum of 30 credit hours by undertaking 24 credit hours course work from approved Scheme of Studies and 06 credit hours of MPhil Thesis.
- A PhD scholar shall have to complete 18 credit hours of graduate level course work from approved Scheme of Studies and 09 credit hours of PhD thesis.
- The registration of PhD thesis of 09 credit hours shall be allowed after the completion of coursework for PhD degree
- If the scheme of courses completed by candidates for their last academic degree in the relevant field does not provide adequate background for the PhD program into which they are seeking admission, they may be required to rectify the deficiency by taking one or more additional courses proposed by the departmental Advisory Committee.
The curriculum combines art, business and science topics to provide students with an in-depth
knowledge of apparel design.
Common course topics include the following:
- Fashion theory and aesthetics
- Fiber science and analysis
- Quality assessment and the apparel industry
- Retailing and distribution
- Portfolio development
- Color, design and patternmaking